As a Chapel Street resident of a number of years, I’ve noticed a few changes in our community. But I’ve also observed a few things that are iconically Chapel Street that only residents can truly relate to. When you know, you know.
1. Knowing what’s in the building above JB HiFi and feeling very smug about it.
2. Being acutely aware of the change of punter demos on Chapel by the time of day, and dreading the 9PM weekend switch.
3. The terrifying moment you realise that you’ve joined the active wear brunch brigade.
4. Rolling your eyes at the guys in the gym filming each other doing muscle ups for the ‘gram.
5. Finally learning where South Yarra, Prahran and Windsor start at end.
6. Taking your out of town friends/relatives to Jungle Boy because, well, secret bars behind sub shops are veeerrryy Melbourne.
7. Then taking them to Maker and Monger because you need to introduce them to the best cheese toastie ever made.
8. Doing a quick check in at the $15 veg box stall at Prahran Market to see if there’s anything good that week.
9. Grudgingly taking your place in line to buy said vege box because it actually is good.
10. Complaining about standing in line for the vege because “it never used to be this busy”.
11. Feeling accomplished after your vege shop and rewarding yourself with a Market Lane Coffee.
12. Being able to go out for a cheap & cheerful dinner and drink every night of the week. The doing so often because #treatyoself
13. Being deeply traumatised by the month both Coles & Woolies were closed for renovations.
14. Noticing the sweet cheese selection at Aldi when being forced to shop there while said renovations were being done.
15. The ‘Hey, that wasn’t there before’ feeling when a new spot opens up out of the blue.
16. Not knowing what to have for dinner, so just taking a stroll down Chaps until something catches your eye.
17. Never running out of wine because Liquid HQ, Blackhearts and Sparrows, Dan Murphy’s Cellar and Wine Republic are just a quick stroll away.
18. Walking past people trying to remember where you know them from… Uh, that’s the barista at Oscar Cooper, buddy.
19. You’re 100% used to the slight smell of pee down the laneway to the gym.
20. Knowing all of the dogs’ names at the dog park, but none of the humans. Oops.
21. Not even batting an eye at the uniquely dressed characters who frequent our main drag.
22. Having a favourite part of Chapel Street… hello Windsor foodie paradise.
23. Waking up early on a Saturday to smash a 1 hour class at Body Fit Training… so you can smash a smashed avo at Journeyman without the guilt.
24. Having a borderline unhealthy knowledge of each bars cocktail list… or happy hour menu.
25. Having a favourite gelato spot, and being deeply passionate about which you prefer. Team Pidapipo VS. Team Messina.
26. Doing a happy hour bar crawl from Tyranny of Distance in Windsor, to Zhou Zhou bar in South Yarra.
27. You’re still working your way through cafes to find the best eggs benne. Brunch is a marathon. Not a sprint.
28. Never knowing what’s good to eat in the city, because why eat in the city?
29. Talking about the time you used to live in so and so building when you walk past… every single time.
30. Coffee is a religion, and you’re very particular about the altar of the caffeine gods you choose to worship
31. If you live in South Yarra, you spend 90% of your time in South Yarra. Same goes for Windsor.
32. Prahran? You swing either way.
33. The feeling of immense chuffed-ness about living in such an iconic community.
Grab your mates, pull up a deckchair, slap on some sunscreen and watch the Channel 9 tennis live broadcast on a 10 metre mega screen.
Midsumma Festival is Australia’s premier queer arts and cultural festival, bringing together a diverse mix of LGBTQIA+ artists, performers, communities and audiences. Here’s what you can see and experience from Midsumma Festival in the Chapel Street Precinct.
While Chapel Street is the home of the best bites, cafes & restaurants, it’s also the best place to get your rig into shape! Put down the fries, here are some of the top places for fitness on Chapel!
Grab a buddy, a pal, or even a BAE and get your brunch on! Bright, bold & beautiful. A farm to fork mantra sets the tone for the brunch menu, which has everything from fruit filled bircher to scrambled eggs & seaweed.